Saturday 26 September 2015

"You're so brave!"

A line which so many have said to me over the last 7 months. I'm brave for getting on with treatment. Am I?
I understand that people say that to support you, let you know they are thinking of you and to make you feel better about the way you are dealing with the situation - but I don't feel brave. Firefighters, police, the armed forces and paramedics - they are brave, walking into situations they may not know anything about to help or protect people that they don't know, so in comparison I'm just not.
At the end of the day, and this is the brutal truth, I faced 2 choices when I was diagnosed: have treatment or die. So I basically had one choice which meant sacrificing 6 - 9 months of my life in order to have the rest of it. That seemed like a pretty fair deal.
I appreciate all of the support I've received from family and friends, and with 2 radiotherapy sessions left, that's probably why I feel like this, as hindsight (as usual) is a wonderful thing, and for me is like wearing rose tinted glasses as I know chemo was bad, but don't remember it being that bad now.

1 comment:

  1. No matter how brave the 'forces' are, you are an amazing and incredibly strong young woman. The way forward is you. Tash, you have gone through so much and helped so many via your blogs. You have hit this hideous disease head on and handled it so well. WELL DONE YOU! 2 more sessions to go sweetheart...hang on in there xx

    ReplyDelete